Monday, September 29, 2014

Trash Day

This is one of my ALL TIME favorite games, and surprisingly enough, the kids love it too! My apple tree game was adapted from this activity. This game keeps them busy for a good 10 minutes, and they usually ask to play it again.

I love it when I can reinforce what they're learning in class during gym. This game is great for helping learn colors.

I put a bunch of different colored items in the middle of the gym (I used scarves, bean bags, and poly spots this time around). This is our "trash".


Trash has to go in the correct "trash can", which are hula hoops, placed around the gym.


The yellow and green are hard to see, but this gives you an idea of their spacing.


On my go, the kids can pick up two pieces of trash (one per hand) and put it in the correct color trash can. The further apart you spread the hula hoops, the more they have to run.

This is a great game for reinforcing colors, and for teaching them how to move quickly without colliding with friends :) (no trash collectors were hurt while playing this game).

A little later in the year we separate by item - which can be tricky for them, especially since they're used to separating by color. I adapt this game a lot, so stay tuned for other ways you can use hula hoops and random stuff to create a fun game for preschoolers :)


No comments:

Post a Comment