Monday, September 15, 2014

Apple Tree Game

When I'm able, I try and plan themed gym activities to go along with the classroom themes. This week two of the classes have an apple theme, and one has water, so I added to/adapted one of my favorite games to have an apple/water theme.

I put green, yellow and red items in the middle of the gym, these were our apples.


Then I placed green, yellow and red hula hoops at one end of the gym. These were our "trees".


Kids were divided up in to green, yellow and red "teams", and it was similar to a relay race. On my "go" the first person in line ran to the middle of the gym and picked up the correct color item for their "team" tree, then they ran to the tree and put their apple on the tree. When one team got all their apples on their tree the game was over. For the older classes, I added in a balance activity, and they had to "climb the trunk of the tree" (walk on the balance beam) and put their apple on the tree.


I love this activity, because it involves color recognition, sorting, balance and teamwork.

For the class studying water, all teams had a blue hula hoop, representing their pool, and they had to "fill their pool" by taking items from the center of the gym and sorting based on the item (scarves, bean bags & big building blocks). The balance beam was the "diving board" and they had to walk to the edge of the board and fill their pool. (I didn't get pictures of this one)

Stay tuned for more apple/water themed games!

No comments:

Post a Comment